My second (and last) child of 14 years loves homemade muffins. She has really liked them since she was about 8 years old! She likes boxed or bakery muffins too but she especially likes my homemade muffins. And I make all different varieties.
She prefers them for breakfast, along with yogurt or fresh fruit.
I usually bake a batch and just eat one. But she likes one every morning!
Lately, I have been wanting to try an oatmeal muffin recipe I saw in a cookbook (a little booklet, really) that I picked up at a local farm-stand many years ago, entitled Old-Fashioned Muffin Recipes. I have learned to tweak some of them over the years to make them with less oils or sugars. I often replace some of the flour with flax meal and some of the sugar with applesauce. This recipe is in its original form minus raisins. I substituted semi-sweet chocolate chips as that is Claire's favorite!
|image taken from daily decadent website|
OATMEAL CHIP MUFFINS
1 1/4 c. instant oats
1 1/4 c. skim milk
1 1/4 c. whole wheat white flour
(or 1 c. whole wheat white flour and 1/4 c. flax meal)
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
1/2 c. canola oil or all natural applesauce
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, combine the the oats and milk. Stir and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another small bowl, mix the egg, oil,sugar, and chips.
- Stir the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and stir only until batter is moist. Add the oatmeal mixture and stir only 1-2 times. DO NOT OVERMIX!
- Fill greased muffin cups (I use Pillsbury Baking spray) 2/3 full.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes.
- Store in an air-tight container. You can also freeze them in a Ziplock baggie.
- Serve warm!
We like to eat warm muffins for breakfast so simply place on a napkin and pop in the microwave for 12 seconds. ENJOY
Serve with fresh fruit like grapefruit, berries, cantaloupe or a banana.
as with all the recipes found under the label "faithfixes" you have permission to copy/print out!