"Even when the rainbow seems to pass right by me....I'm still finding Gold in the clouds....."

13 December 2013

Little Faves before Christmas

What a busy week!!

But with it come some fave moments, people, things............
.........so I'm sharing in the Fave Five along with other bloggers who link up over at Susanne's.  How about joining in?  What were some blessings that God brought your way this week?

FIVE FAVES



  • OLD FRIENDS:  Dave and I (and Claire) ran into an old friend in our church parking area on Sunday between services. He was coming out of the 9 a.m. and we were just going in to the 11 a.m. WOW....it was a blast from the past.  J and I had served on the same music ministry team for years at our former church.  He and his wife came to Xmas parties at our home years ago, before Claire was born and our house was brand new.  He was a friend and brother in Christ.  And then some things happened and he left the body of Christ.  BUT....he is back with God and attending the very same church that WE transitioned to 8 years ago.  It had been a little over 14 years since we had seen him last. He had never met Claire.  It was an awesome reunion and Dave and I are so thankful for the blessing of lasting friendships AND for the Lord leading J back to church. 

photo courtesy of colonie center mall website
  • PERSONAL DAY:  Monday was my birthday so I had put in for a personal day to finish up the Christmas shopping at the local mall.  Of course it is beautifully decorated for the season now unlike in the photo above, and the mall wasn't too busy at 10 a.m.  I was there for about 2 1/2 hours and got some great deals. I even splurged on a sweater from Ma*y's for my self and at LLBe*n I managed to get a 45$ dollar shirt for only 4$ with my coupons from using the Visa card!!  I am now officially done shopping and just need to finish up the wrapping before the college girl comes home to reclaim her bedroom!  It was a nice way to spend my birthday and the blessing is the sales and the little bit of time I had to do some reading in the late afternoon.

  • BAKING:  I baked 9 dozen cookies for the  cookie swap the special education team I work on is having at the school.  One dozen was for my family and the other 8 are for the 8 colleagues who signed up.  It was a LOT of work on Saturday and Sunday but they came out great, look pretty, and they are all tucked away until Monday when we do the actual swap. It will be fun to come home with 8 other kinds of cookies. The ones I made are called Cherry Kisses and they were super simple. I'm going to post the recipe on here when I get a chance sometime over the next week. So come back to check it out!  The blessing is that the baking is done as this weekend is jammed pack full of other activities that won't give me much time at home.


  • Phone Call: my oldest gal called me to say Happy Birthday on Monday while I was driving her sister to ballet.  It was sooo good to hear her voice and to learn that she will be home (weather permitting) on Thursday the 19th! I'm now praying that the weather will be good for her to drive home from Boston.  She is such a blessing to me and I can't wait to pamper her over the holidays.


photo courtesy of google images


  •  ALL NATURAL HOT CEREAL:  Oh.my.goodness.  I have discovered a new-to-me hot breakfast cereal.  It is a little pricey so I'll only buy it twice a month but it is just so GOOD!  There are only 5 packets in each box but they are chock full of all natural ingredients.  I bought the one pictured above.  It contains the following good-for-you grains: oats, flaxseed, rye, barley, quinoa, and wheat.  It gives you 20 grams of  whole grains per serving. A serving is one packet. It only takes 2 minutes in the microwave so is the perfect choice for hectic work day mornings.  It's a great source of fiber and protein and is naturally cholesterol free.  There are zero grams of transfats and there are NO artificial preservatives.  It is far better than the leading brand of instant oatmeal which begins with a Q.  Also, the company, Mom's Best Naturals, supports the use of renewable wind energy and works to reduce water and  promotes recycling.  The blessing for me is that no one else in the family wants it!
That wraps up my week.

I will be taking a blogging break in the next week, until Christmas week.  This next last week of school before the new calendar year is a busy one.  We have Claire's dance review on Sunday afternoon, and her Orchestra and Chorus concert on Wednesday evening AND she still has ballet classes until Christmas Eve.  We also have our oldest daughter coming home from college for 3 weeks and it will be Claire's 15th birthday on the 21st so she is having some school friends over for a sleepover/party.  Combine this with last minute Christmas Day preparations as well as working until the 20th and well....blogging and FB are going to have to take a backseat.


I hope you all enjoy the weekend and take time to savor the presence of the Savior!

What have been some of your faves this week?



6 comments:

Mrs. C (Paula) said...

Great faves this week, and happy birthday to you! Pretend that I just sang you the "happy birthday" song :)

Hazel said...

Among your faves I relate so much with coming home for the holidays because I'll be home and on the 19th too. Belated happy birthday!

Susanne said...

I am so looking forward to having my girls home for Christmas too! Unfortunately, T can only come for 5 days. That's all her job would allow her even though she is off from school for two weeks. I, too, plan on a little spoiling!

Your first favorite was exciting to read.

Happy belated birthday to you! Hope you had a fantastic day and was thoroughly spoiled yourself!

Barbara H. said...

Belated happy birthday to you! It sounds like it was a great day with the time at the mall and the sales. I don;t go to the mall much but like to go at least one time during the Christmas season to see the decorations and get a few things.

Your #1 was so neat!

At a very small church we attended in another state they used to do a cookie exchange, and I miss it. It's harder to do in a bigger group.

I'll have to check out that hot cereal. Somehow I am the only one in the family who likes hot cereal.

Kathie said...

What a lovely day for your birthday! Great buys too!

That cereal sounds yummy. I'll look around to see if we have it here. I eat hot cereal every morning and I love it.

Such nice things to look forward to! Enjoy your week!

Willow said...

Happy (belated) Birthday to you! It sounds like you made excellent use of your special day.
I'm picky about my breakfast cereals too--lots of oats, flaxseed meal, whole grains for this girl.
Enjoy your busy week ahead-hang in there!