"Even when the rainbow seems to pass right by me....I'm still finding Gold in the clouds....."

27 June 2015

Spiced Carrots and Butternut Squash

Do you need some fresh veggie recipes for summer meals?

I'm always looking for them....for ones that are quick and easy!

I recently discovered this recipe via my Simple and Delicious magazine and thought I'd share it with you all.  It's a slow-cooker recipe which is perfect for days that I go hiking or take my teen daughter and her friends to the lake.  I can have this simmer all afternoon and just toss some bison burgers on the grill once we are home.   Delish!!


SPICED CARROTS AND BUTTERNUT SQUASH


5 large carrots, cut into 1/2 in. pieces

2 c. cubed, peeled butternut squash
1 Tbl balsamic vinegar
1 Tbl olive oil
1 Tbl honey
1 tsp ground cinnamon
dash of salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder



  • Place carrots and squash in slow cooker.
  • In a small bowl, mix the remaining ingredients; drizzle over the veggies and toss to coat.
  • Cook, covered, on low for 4-5 hours (or on simmer for 6-7 hours) until veggies are tender.  
  • Gently stir before serving.



PLEASE NOTE:  the original recipe from Simple and Delicious calls for a 1/2 tsp of salt. I never add salt to my recipes, other than a dash.  Recipes rarely need salt!

TIPS:  prepare this in the morning before leaving for work or a beach day at the lake.
Serve with grilled tilapia, bison burgers, or chicken.  Add some fresh fruit of melon and berries and you have a very simple and healthful dinner!

Refrigerate any leftovers and serve the next day over jasmine rice for lunch!

ENJOY!!



1 comment: