I missed you all last week!
I love Susanne's Friday Fave Five writing exercise. I think it's so important to look back on our days or weeks or months or year and give thanks to God for all the blessings He gives us. Even difficult things can be a blessing or we can find a blessing of some sort in them.
I was away with my 17 year old daughter last week on vacation to one of our most favorite spots in the state. This place!! We rented a small 2 bedroom cottage that had basically everything! We've stayed here in the past although in a different cottage and when all 4 of us were together. This year, my husband wanted to attend the Science Fiction World Con in Kansas City, MO so that is where he vacationed. I am so not into science fiction thus the separate vacations. And my oldest had to work so she stayed behind and managed the house.
It is difficult to just choose 5 photos or blessings so bear with all the photos....I had to post several as they all are faves.
Here's a glimpse from the past 2 weeks:
- SOUTHERN ADKS ART TOUR: Courtney (my oldest) and I took a Saturday before vacation to tour a few galleries and studios that local artists in the Northville, NY area were opening for visitors. We spent a good deal of time with one, buying several of her cards from oil paintings, and then we spent some time in another gallery browsing before moving on to buying a watercolor from an artist who grew up in the village where my mother was born. In fact, he signed my ADK 102 Challenge book as did the partner of the other artist. It was a fun day followed by dinner with one of my cousin's at a local pub before we headed back home to suburbia. Courtney really enjoyed herself and we needed this day together.
|watercolor artist is William Mosher of Northville, NY|
- LONG LAKE VACATION!! I won't write a lot. This will be photos.....I am very thankful that Claire and I had some special days together in the sun with perfect summer weather (NO HUMIDITY AND NO TEMPS OVER 78!!), swimming, sitting on the dock, playing board games on the porch, browsing in Old Forge one day, touring Long Lake to the north all the way to the High Peaks Region one afternoon on a 2 hour boat tour that took us past Sigourney Weaver's camp (yes, the actress!!)and just relaxing under the pines with books and coffee. It was a perfect way to end August! (we took a lot of photos..here are just some faves)
SCENES FROM AROUND THE COTTAGE :
|our own picnic area outside our cottage|
|right outside our cottage...steps leading down to the beach|
|What I did every morning and late afternoon|
with my coffee, book and Bible
Shamrock Motel and Cottages
Long Lake, NY
|photo courtesy of Claire|
afternoon coffee break
|sunset over Owls Head Mountain|
(hiked in 2013)
|early evening swim|
|early morning mist over Long Lake from the cottage|
LONG LAKE BOAT TOUR WITH CAPTAIN MARTY:
|there were 8 of us on this 2 hour boat tour|
the boat took us north to the end of the lake
- BONFIRE NIGHT: Claire and I wanted a bonfire one night shortly after returning home...the weather has been gorgeous and I know we won't get to do this much once school begins again. It was a fun evening of chatting, taking photos and eating s'mores. We stayed outdoors until about 10 pm and it was lovely.
- BIKING AND A LITTLE BOY: This past week I rode my bike over to the home of a little boy, J, who was one of the students I worked with in the kindergarten last school year. He is 6 years old and is a delight to know! His mom told me about how she asked him what he wanted to do when he grew up, and he said he just wanted to make people smile. Well, he already does that!! So, his mom decided to create smile magnets for him to pass out to people. He gave me one and Mom let me choose 2 more for my daughters! (they were thrilled when they got them and both girls keep them on their dressers) I put mine right on my fridge. The thing that I love about J is that, not only is he one of the happiest children I have met while working at this particular school, but although he has some special needs, he rises to the challenges and works hard. His parents are wonderful people and I can't go into details, obviously, but let me tell you, he is one amazing little person and I'm guessing he is going to go far in life. (please note: his mom gave me permission to post about this). If you click on the link above (the words "create smile magnets" it will take you to their Facebook page for the project) Here is a photo of the magnets:
- RELAXING AFTERNOONS: I am loving every minute of summer and of this month. August is my 2nd favorite month and I love that the mornings and evenings are cooler and the days nice and hot with sunny skies. I like getting my housework done in the mornings and then that leaves me parts of the afternoons to sit on my deck, with iced coffee and a book, enjoying the peace and quiet of the neighborhood. I am going to miss this routine of mine once I'm back at work and I know I will need to make sure to have some quiet time...at least a few days a week....it's so important for our bodies, minds and souls.
That wraps up a bit of the last 2 weeks.
In one week from today, I will be getting ready for a hiking trip, and then a short trip to my in-laws in MA.
And in two weeks from yesterday, Claire and I will head back to the classrooms.
Enjoy the rest of August and summer vacation!