"Even when the rainbow seems to pass right by me....I'm still finding Gold in the clouds....."

15 November 2013

Mid November Faves

How did it get to be mid-November already??

Seriously, I am not really mentally ready for  the holiday season yet!! I'm still in hiking mode!!

But....even though life is starting to get a little busier again, like it always does this time in the school year, I can find some blessings in the week..........we call these the Friday Fave Five and it's hosted by Susanne.



MY FAVES

photo courtesy of sparkle markets
  • DINER DINNER:  Last Friday after work, I was absolutely exhausted....and Dave was home on a vacation day......so.....we decided to go out to dinner at a local, fave diner.  Claire loves their chicken wings there and wanted to try an ice cream soda.  She had never had one before.  She loved it! I had the bison burger and a few fries and an ice cream sundae which was a total splurge for me!!  Dave had the scallops and passed on dessert.  It was a fun evening of talking and eating yummy food. I'm thankful we can do things like this with out traveling very far.

  • ELECTRONICS RECYCLING:  Last Saturday our high school Robotics Club was hosting a "recycle your old electronics" day.  So I had a pleasant surprise when Dave agreed to go through the basement and get rid of electronic parts, old keyboards, an old TV, etc.  Some of the stuff has been done there for years!  He gave them a monetary donation and I was so thankful that my basement is a little more clutter-free.
photo courtesy of Target




  • NEW VACUUM:  Yes, I am thankful for a new vacuum.  Dave and I ran to B*d, B*th and B*y*nd on Saturday after he volunteered to get me something to replace our old Kirby which is just too heavy for me to deal with now.  Kirby's are extremely heavy and ever since I have been dealing with low back issues, I have been very careful not to lift it. This has made it difficult for me to go from level to level in my house.  Dave and I found this new one to be a great choice for us. I love it!! I am so thankful that I finally have a lightweight vacuum that has all the power and tools that I need.  No more asking my husband to carry the vacuum for me!

  • FLANNEL SHEETS:  I put our flannel sheets on the bed this past week as our nights have dipped down into the 20s (Farenheit). They are so cozy and warm...sometimes TOO warm....but I love how they feel against my skin on a cold night...we set our house temp to go pretty cool after 11 pm,  so my husband likes a warm bed to crawl into.  I'm thankful for a warm bed!

photo courtesy of the free george
  • LAST HIKE:  I did my last hike of the season on Monday as we had the day off due to Veteran's day. I took a friend to one of my very fave hikes in the southern region of the Adirondacks. Here is one of the 3 lakes you can see along this hiking trail which is a total of 7.6 miles round trip.  The day we hiked was overcast with the sun just peeking out in the beginning of the hike and it was only in the low 40s.  The above pic is "Middle Lake" the 2nd lake on the trail.  I found this photo online and it is evident that the person was hiking in the summer.  Most of the trees are bare now, and the lake was pretty but the sky was cloudy.  I still enjoyed the hike because I love the mountains and being in the woods.  I might try winter hiking, depending on my schedule but for now, with autumn coming to a close on Dec 21st and the time between now and then a very hectic one for me and my family, my hiking days are over.  It was a good day to end the season. I am thankful I've been able to do many hikes this past spring, summer, and fall.

that  wraps up my faves......

What are you thankful for this week??


10 comments:

Dianna said...

Isn't it wonderful, Faith, how our husbands can sense that we need a break from the kitchen? I love it when my husband does that! It sounds as if you had a delightful time at the diner.

And I applaud your husband for deciding to gather up all of the electronics that needed to be recycled and get rid of them!

Congratulations on your new vaccum! I HAD a Kirby once and I so agree with you about the weight. Now you have one that you can manage and that makes all the difference!

Glad you had such a wonderful week!

Anonymous said...

from bj- I am thankful for modern medicine- I was reminded once again this week, when I found out I have advanced cataracts from meds I take for asthma- 100 years ago, I would have had to just go blind, but today, I will be able to get the lenses replaced and see BETTER than I have since 4th grade. I thank God for this!!! :D

nikkipolani said...

Hooray for getting rid of clutter! That'll be my project for the next several months. Your new vacuum looks very light indeed -- hope it works well for your home.

Dinner at a diner sounds fun! A nice splurge now and again :-)

Melissa R said...

I'm glad you had such a good week! The diner dinner sounds like fun, and I totally get it about being happy about a new vacuum.

Kathie said...

I have a light vacuum too - also due to health issues. But it's only a Swiffer type and I'd like to replace it with something more powerful in the future. I'll keep y eye out for a Kirby.

A beautiful spot to hike. I've enjoyed your hiking posts and will miss them. You've been an inspiration to me! I think winter hiking would be pretty but it would have to be on a well-groomed trail. There are a few that are kept open on the Island. The beach is also good, as long as I'm dressed warmly.

That Sundae picture is killing me. I'm trying to cut back a bit :)but ice-cream is my absolute favourite!

Happy weekend!

Joyful Reader said...

Ice cream soda,,, I haven't had one of those in years! I may have to get me one of those soon.

Sounds like a great week! I have been working on decluttering my house for a couple weeks. I am almost to the downstairs (basement) but it may have to wait until after the holidays.

Hope you have a blessed weekend!

Barbara H. said...

I was wondering the same thing about how we are half-way through November already.

What a great idea to recycle electronic parts and get some space cleaned out at the same time.

The diner dinner sounds fun.

I can totally relate to the vacuum situations - we used to love in a split-level and it was hard to drag a vacuum up and down stairs.

Jerralea said...

Sounds like a lovely week. Glad you got to go out to eat and have the lovely desserts. I don't know about a bison burger ....

Do you know, I must be the only one who has not tried flannel sheets. Everyone raves about them. Maybe I should give it a try.

I know how you feel about the hiking season being done for awhile. There will probably be very little road trips for me for awhile, too.

Willow said...

I've hardly done any hiking this fall and I miss it. I can't imagine not hiking now until spring.

Flannel sheets! Oh yes! I admit to using them almost the whole year long. They're so comfy.

Have a great weekend!

Susanne said...

Yum, you inspired me to go make a sundae. Haven't had one in forever. Yay for getting rid of electronic clutter. I'm sure that vac will be very easy on your back.