We are in the last week of February!
And for this fair weather girl, that is cause for rejoicing!
Taking time out of my last day of winter break to share my FIVE FAVES from the past week. Hope you can find some blessings in this last week of February and link them up at Susanne's site.
- SURPRISE GIFTS: My friend and fellow sister in Christ Anita surprised me with the keychain and pin last Sunday at church. She knows I love dragonflies and also knows the story behind why they are me and Dave's "thing". I thought it was so sweet of her...even more special is that she bought them to help support a preschool. She has a very generous heart.
|Handmade blanket by Guatemalan women|
- GUATEMALAN GIFTS! Dave returned from Guatemala safely very late last Saturday night and had gifts for each of us. Claire received a small jade elephant for her collection and Courtney received a beautiful small cross body purse. I received the coffee and Dave bought that gorgeous blanket (SO WARM and HEAVY!) for the family room. He loves bringing back little things from his missions trips.
- GIFT OF SALVATION! One of my fave stories from Dave's missions trip is that one of the team members (step daughter, in her early 20s, to one of the church members on the trip) received the gift of salvation down in Guatemala!! Apparently she wanted to go on this missions team even though she wasn't a Christian......my husband said she was a great help with many things....while down there, of course, she heard the gospel and accepted Christ one evening with one of our pastors praying with her. GLORY TO GOD!! Although I don't know the young girl, I do know her step-mother and I rejoice with her! Dave reports that all the people and children they came into contact with were very receptive to all of the Bible stories and personal testimonies, as well as the practical helps the team offered.
- GIFT OF WARM DAYS! Ah....all that 10 inches of snow in our yard is GONE thanks to several days this week of very mild temps and sunshine. I loved it!! There is still snow in the central and northern part of the state where I hike, of course, but even that is quickly melting. It felt great to have windows open a couple of nights this week and in the afternoons the fresh breezes blowing through the house. Spring is coming...just a few more weeks!!
|image courtesy of restaurant notes website|
- GIFT OF Friends in Christ On Wednesday, I traveled to the Central NY area, about a 90 minute drive from my home, to visit my dad in the nursing home. I then had to drive another 30 minutes west to do lunch with an old friend, then back to the town I grew up (until age 19) in for a meeting with my dad's minister, and then finally back east to the town where the nursing home is as I was meeting a friend for dinner there later in the afternoon. This gave me 2 hours to kill and I was just longing for a GOOD cup of coffee which is nearly impossible in the Mohawk Valley region of NYS. You see, that region is very economically depressed and blighted. It is rather sad....my old hometown was not a favorite of mine anyways, growing up, and to see it now after 30+ years.....ugh...it is a dump. It's pathetic really. However, the town where my dad is has seen a revitalization of business and tourist spots and I managed to find a most excellent coffee shop right on Main Street. That is their logo pictured above. I had the best mocha latte...it actually surpassed the Starbucks one!! (which i love) and the price was a little bit cheaper. I was able to sit at a wonderful window table and read a book, people watch and sip leisurely until meeting my friend for a very good Italian dinner. Although I was very "down" about my hometown area, my friend lifted my spirits, the food and coffee hit the spot, and I was able to enjoy those little blessings God brought to my day.