"Even when the rainbow seems to pass right by me....I'm still finding Gold in the clouds....."

21 June 2016

2016 Book Review #44: Secrets She Kept


I just finished this book tonight.....another historical fiction, and it was very riveting.

STORY SUMMARY

It is 1973 and Hannah Sterling has just lost her mother, Lisolette, to cancer.  She has always wanted a closer relationship with her  but never could seem to achieve that.  Now, she is determined to find out the secrets of her mother's past, thanks to some letters she finds after the death and after the will is read.  She is shocked to find out that she has a grandfather living in Germany!!

Hannah travels to Germany to meet her Grandfather, Herr Sommer, whom she discovers is a former member of the Nazi party.  She also discovers many horrible things her grandfather was involved in....including denouncing his own daughter!!

While Hitler, 30 years earlier, was barging ahead exterminating Jews and other "non-Aryans", Lisolette, her friends the Kirchmann's, and other resistance workers, were helping to hide the Jews or give them new identities.  Meanwhile, in her late teens, Lisolette falls in love with Lukas Kirchmann and marries him. But what happens 2 days after their wedding will change their lives forever.

As Hannah learns the truth about her mother, her biological father, and her grandfather, will she also learn that she really can't atone for her family's tragic past?  How does their legacy affect her future?

MY THOUGHTS

This book was very good, although I have read better ones set in this era.

The character development was excellent as was the description of the setting. 

The editing errors were numerous and that always bugs me.

The actual plot was very good and I like how the author did one chapter in 1973 and another chapter in the WWII time.  It was good to get the back story of Lisolette and Lukas this way.

The weaving in of the real Ten Boom sisters was brilliant and added to the spiritual significance of the story.

I enjoyed that the author talked about redemption, salvation, forgiveness and I liked how she turned Hannah's thoughts towards those things at the end of the book.

This book touches on how our actions can affect generations to come and that really resonated with me for some reason.

In my opinion, this book is appropriate for ages 14 and older.

On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the highest, I rate this a 9.




3 comments:

Susanne said...

I've read another book by this author and remember really enjoying it though can't quite remember the title. Something about immigrants in New York, I think. Too bad about the editing errors. I'll have to put this on my library list!

Susanne said...

I remember now: Band of Sisters

Deb said...

Thanks for your thoughts! I would like to read this book!