"Even when the rainbow seems to pass right by me....I'm still finding Gold in the clouds....."

29 July 2016

End of July Faves


Wow!  It is the end of July!  Summer has been simply marvelous here in eastern New York State and I am loving, and thanking God, for every moment, every memory, every blessing He brings.  

I'm joining with other people sharing their FIVE FAVE blessings from the past week...you can check out other blogs by clicking here.


FIVE FAVES

  • MORNING GLORIES!  My morning glories, climbing up the trellis on the deck. finally  bloomed this past week.  My goodness, they are a little late this year! Not sure why.  Maybe because of the slight drought we are experiencing?  At any rate, they bring a smile to my face when I sit out here in the morning hours with my coffee and Bible before the sun gets too hot.


  • BIKING!  I was able to get in a couple of good bike rides this week in the early part of the morning and it was heavenly.  I did a 5 mile ride when I snapped this picture.....it's about 2 miles from my house...I call it a little bit of country in suburbia.  Just down this narrow road are big fields of corn and tractors and then a block later a beautiful new housing development.  It's fun to see the different scenery as I ride my bike and it beats a boring old bike path. (although they have their benefits, too...as in no cars to worry about!!).  I'm thankful I can ride my bike in the mornings as I know that will need to change come September and back to work!

  • ORGANIZING/PURGING:  My oldest daughter, after work one afternoon, volunteered to help me purge the cupboards in the kitchen and in our armoire in the dining room (pictured above).  We got rid of a large box plus 3 bags of stuff!!  Random mugs, cups, glasses, cake platters, cheap plastic dishes from when they were little and we ate dinners on the deck, old camping dishes, etc.  Oh my goodness.  Now you can see the fine bone English china teacups my mom passed down to each of us, and in the top 2 sections, we can finally see our wineglasses, etc.  I love this minimalist look she helped create for me.  


photo courtesay of dancetab.com
  • NYCB (New York City Ballet)!  Twice this past week, my youngest (the ballerina) and I drove up to SPAC (Saratoga Performing Arts Center in the Saratoga Spa State Park) to see the NYCB perform.  The first night we went, we used her free lawn pass and saw 2 out of 3 classical pieces.  They were lovely.  The next evening, they were doing one of Claire's favorite ballets ("Jewels") so I surprised her with inside top center balcony tickets.  The view of the stage is perfect.  The price is quite high but once a year we splurge on good seats. For those of you unfamiliar with SPAC, click here to read about it. The highlight, in my opinion, in the Jewels ballet, is the piece titled "Diamonds".  Sara Mearns, pictured above, is the principal ballerina for that one and she is exquisite. The white costumes are gorgeous too. (patrons of the NYCB are not allowed to take photos at SPAC so I had to hunt for a photo of her in Diamonds). I'm thankful I had two mother-daughter dates with my own ballerina to see one of the best ballet companies in the world!
the view from my kayak about 9:30 a.m.
Wednesday 27 July
  • KAYAKING!  Of course I went kayaking again this week....and I introduced a work colleague to the joys of the sport.  She has a beach house on Cape Cod but had never kayaked!!  She was so happy I invited her to tag along...I told her this is why we have them....to share with friends.  I gave her a quick lesson and we were off...and she loved it and did a great job!   (I neglected to get her permission to post her photo). There were hardly any other people on the lake that morning.  By the time we left, around 11:30 a.m., the place was starting to get filled up with swimmers...it has been a very hot and humid week here in eastern NY but I love it when I'm on the water!  The lake was like glass for most of the morning, too!

That wraps up my fave......What were some of your blessings this week??

embrace every moment, find pleasure in the little things...and enjoy your weekend!!



8 comments:

Ann said...

Sigh. I go back to school in 10 days, and really need to get the cleaning/purging thing done before then. Congratulations to you for getting it done!!

Barbara H. said...

I love morning glories and don't have any here yet. I need to find a spot for some.

I've done a lot of cleaning/purging this summer - feels so good and looks so nice.

The ballet trips sound so fun, and how nice to get really great seats sometimes!

Karen said...

I've been in a cleaning/organizing mode, too, and I really need to attack my china hutch. It would be nice to have someone to help me through it. Lovely of your daughter to help.

Kayaking sounds wonderful, every time you write about it. I mostly see kayakers here on the fast moving rivers, but I think I would enjoy a nice smooth lake much better.

Have a good weekend, Faith.

ellen b said...

Looks like a good week. We've been doing a lot of organizing around this old house, too. I'd like to go kayaking soon. The Mennonite Girls ancestors migrated from Germany to the Ukraine. My parents are the only Russian born but we all share the cooking heritage. My Russian family were Russian Baptist and Russian Molokan, which is a long story...

Willow said...

Ah yes, decluttering and cleaning seems to be the theme this week :)

I love how much outdoors activity you included this week, too. I've never been kayaking--that's on my bucket list!

Have a great and enjoyable weekend-- sit on that deck in the mornings and breathe in all the beauty.

Wendy said...

I'd love to live close to water but you still wouldn't get me kayaking. I'm not a strong swimmer and I don't like being out of my depth. Your cabinet looks lovely and I love ballet. Lucky you to get to see two performances in one week.

Susanne said...

My cleaning, purging, organizing week is coming up and the craft room is going to be the first that gets it. Nice that you had some help. Love biking as you know. We do both bike paths and favorite sections and streets as well as bike trails that we do. It's fun to mix it up.

Melanie Lopata said...

Looks like you had a great week!! And we've been doing a lot of purging and organizing too, as well as fixing up the house so we can {hopefully} move SOOOOOOOOOOON