03 August 2026

2026 Book Review #26:Theo of Golden

 


What a lovely novel with a lovely premise. 

This is the author's book debut and it's a hit. 

STORY SUMMARY

The man's name is Theo. He doesn't reveal his last name. He asks people lots of questions about themselves yet rarely  talks about himself. He appears in the small town of Golden, Georgia one Spring day. 

Theo likes to visit the local coffeehouse called The Chalice and likes to visit Tony at the Verbivore book store.  

It's in the Chalice that he discovers 92 portraits done in pencil by a local artist named Asher Glisson. The portraits are of various Golden residents. 

Theo begins to buy them, one at a time, and then gives them to the people the portrait is depicting. When these exchanges occur, stories are told, friendships are birthed, and lives change. 

What is  Theo trying to teach the people of Golden? What does this book teach us? 


MY THOUGHTS

I loved this book the moment I opened it. First of all, there were 298 people ahead of me on the waiting list when I first signed up for this book from our towne library. 

Finally 12 days ago, it was my turn.  

The book is one to be savored. It's not a page turner meaning it's not like a thriller or mystery or family drama. It's kind of like an experience. It's the kind of book where I would read a chapter, think about it, set it aside and pick it up again later in the day. 

The characters are very well developed as is the setting.  I just love the descriptions of each character and the various establishments around Golden. 

But more than that, I love the story of Jesus entwined in these pages....this mainly comes out in the end but like I originally thought...Theo is  an example of how Jesus wants us to live.......

the themes of kindness, compassion, gentleness and self control are apparent in this story....the intentional generosity of Theo.....the connection between art/music and redemptive joy. 

The ending is simply exquisite. I cannot reveal what it is because it would totally ruin it for you.  But it's just beautiful and this story will resonate with me for days to come. 

There are many great quotes throughout the story and I'll share a few of my favorites: 

 "For anything to be good, truly good there must be love in it. Whether the art is sculpture, farming, teaching, law-making, medicine, music, or raising a child----nothing is what it's supposed to be if love is not at the core." (pg 119 Theo of Golden by Allen Levi, c2023)

"What does it mean that we place permanent boundaries around transient moments? what it it say of humankind that we take such trouble to freeze specific memories, that we devote such energy to capturing and preserving the "minute particulars' of our lives?" (pg 123) 

"...the best portion of a good person's life is "the little, namelss, unremembered acts of kindness and love." (Theo speaking of Wordsworth on pg 207)

"God gave us faces so we can see each other better." (pg 259)

"They are also told that faith, hope, and love endure, but the greatest of these is love." (pg 384)


If you only read one book this summer, make it Theo of Golden.

In my opinion, this book is appropriate for ages 14 and older.

On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the highest, I rate this a 10.  It's exquisite.  




1 comment:

Susanne said...

Funny enough, I was just getting ready to do a review of this book. I loved it too. Crazy how it became so popular simply through word of mouth. It was fun to look up and see the actual cafe and fountain that inspired it.