How is it the end of August already?
It's been an active one and the Autumn months are fast approaching and those will also be even busier.
For now, let's pause and join Susanne and gang in sharing FIVE of our FAVE blessings from the past week. Head to her blog to learn more or to link up.
FIVE FAVES
| Tirrell Pond in the Blue Mountain Wild Forest area north-central Adirondack Mountains 22 August |
- SATURDAY SOULSTEPS HIKE: I had 4 people originally going on the Saturday SoulSteps hike but it ended up being just Evelyn and my self. One guy injured his ankle so since he wasn't going, my husband wasn't going. Evelyn and I drove the 2.5 hours to get to the trailhead by 9:15 AM and after schlepping over a lot of blowdown and climbing over fallen trees, we arrived to this beautiful remote pond which is 3.6 miles in from the trailhead. All together we hiked 7.2 miles and had a sweet time of catching up, eating lunch in the quiet wilderness, and enjoying wading in the pond. The weather was just perfect. I'm thankful I got to hike this trail again and now that I've hiked in there for the 3rd time, I can be done with it. It's a gorgeous destination but the trail is becoming pretty unmaintained. I'm thankful we had a wonderful day in the mountains.
- SUNDAY DINNER: I'm super thankful Dave offered to cook his famous Rice n Beans dinner after church on Sunday. We had invited our youngest daughter but she was prepping her apartment to have all of her windows and doors replaced, so it was just the two of us. Dave made a delicious dinner and I did the clean up. I'm thankful for a husband who likes to take a turn to cook.
- BRUNCH and CONVERSATION: On Tuesday I had my friend Joan over for brunch and to play a song for her that I had written (well, it was inspired by God because trust me...I am NOT a composer!). Because it involved this spiritual journey she was walking through with me, I had been wanting to sing/play it for her as she was a big part of the process. We ended up talking for a couple of hours and it was a sweet time of fellowship. I'm thankful I could host this friend who means the world to me.
| On the summit of Balm of Gilead Mt l-r: Joan, me, Karen, Jill This is my tribe. |
- SOULSTEPS MID-WEEK HIKE: Wednesday was a perfect late summer day. It was glorious in the mountains! The temp was about 70-72 for most of the hike. The sun was out in full force until late afternoon when it became a bit cloudy with the sun in and out. The air was wonderful. The whole hike went so well. There were 6 of us altogether. The above pic was taken by 2 non-members who were just leaving the summit and offered to take our group photo. Our other member (Beth) wasn't yet on the summit with her teen daughter, So she missed the group photo and we were so busy eating lunch and enjoying the summit, we never did get another group pic done. I'm so thankful we all brought our bathing suits, towels, etc to linger down at 13th Lake and do some swimming. I'm thankful also that we just had one of the best hikes of the summer. Round trip miles is only 3.6 miles but the summit of Balm of Gildead Mt is just beautiful. We were in the Siamese Pond Wilderness Area of the central Adirondacks. The mountain stands at 2450. It's a bit steep towards the last half mile. I'm so thankful, also, that my new hiking boots did well and my feet weren't sore at all! Here are some photos from the hike:
| Beth and her 15 yr old daughter A |
| Joan and I trekking down from the summit photo compliments of Karen T |
- HOT COFFEE: I'm thankful for a good cup of hot coffee each morning. I set up the Ninja the night before to start brewing at 5:45 as Dave is downstairs by 6. I tend to come down anywhere between 6:15-6:45 now that I'm retired, and that first mug of steaming hot coffee is one of the things I'm thankful for every single day. This is the blend we've been enjoying all week. After my first mug of coffee, I get a 2nd one to drink while reading my devotionals/Bible and then with my third one, I eat some breakfast. Super thankful for all the blends our fave companies offer.
That's it for my fave blessings.
Dave and I have a date day tomorrow and we are getting the kayaks in one of the state park lakes for the first time all summer. We both finally have a free weekend other than popping in to a goodbye party after church for a very old friend from our former church who is moving to Florida. She kept in touch with us after she left the former church as well and we will miss her!
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.
2 comments:
You live in such a beautiful area. I was in the mountains of Vermont last week. Every time I go there I am in awe of the beauty of the mountains. I have been drinking Starbucks 1971 and it is delicious. I'm going to have to try the kind you've been drinking next. Have fun on your date!
I forgot to change the automatic sign in thingy, it's https://ajarfullofmarigolds.blogspot.com/. Ug this changing blogs is driving me crazy.
Post a Comment