
Indian Lake, NY
Saturday 27 September
I'm joining in on the Autumnal Hodgepodge this week. Head to this blog to read more.
1. When you think of autumn what sounds come to mind?
the crackle of the wood in our bonfire pit; the cry of the geese flying south overhead; the shouts of the neighbor children being released from the school bus in the late afternoons; the crunch of the leaves in the woods as I hike.
2. Is a trip to the mountains something you enjoy?
What do you think?? Have you ever even read anything on this blog?? hahah Omgosh. Of course! I lead 2 hikes a week July-November. All are in the mountains (most are in the Adirondacks with a couple in the Catskills or the Green Mts of Vermont). From mid-March to June I lead 1-2 hikes a week as well but usually in the Spring season, we do some deep woods hikes not just mountains.
Here's my most recent climb:
![]() |
| on the summit of Rooster Comb That's Giant Mt in the background... the first high peak I climbed in 1978 at the age of 18 |
And a few days before that:
| another half mile to the summit of Jay Mountain High Peaks region ADK in front: Ping l-r: Joan, me, Michelle |
What's your favorite mountain? (to a hiker, that's kind of a stupid question. No offense to whomever thought up this question.) It's way too difficult to have one fave mountain. Especially when you hike all of the various mountains in the Adirondacks as much as I do. I guess if I only hiked a couple of times a year, I might have a fave. How about I answer with my fave mountain to climb depending on which region I'm in?? But that would take too long so just now that every mountain I have climbed (I've climbed 3 just in the week and a half and don't have time to today to share how many I've climbed in my life time) But let's say my fave mountain in the High Peaks region of the Adirondacks: Rooster Comb Mt
A better question would be "What is your least fave mountain and why?" For me? that would be Snowy Mt (4000'). It was so difficult we all were in tears while scrambling on all 4s to reach the top. Is located in the Central Adirondacks in the town of Indian Lake. Plus the fire tower was in rough shape so we couldn't make it to the top of that, although we did make it to the summit after 3.5 hours of climbing. Total miles: 7.5 I've hiked longer ones that were easier.
3. What's something that once felt like a mountain, but is now just a molehill?
the "drama" surrounding an extended family event (Am not going into details!)
4. Let's play this or that-fall foods edition. Yes you have to choose.
- pumpkin spice latte or chai latte: Chai Latte
- apple cider or hot chocolate: Cold Apple cider
- stew or chili: both
- sweet potato casserole or green bean casserole: sweet potato
- butternut squash soup or creamy mushroom soup : Butternut squash
- cranberry sauce or gravy: both
5. Sum up your September in a sentence or two.
Super stupendous and busy and filled with amazing moments with my close friends in the mountains.
6. Insert your own random thought here.
I'm loving having the time to decorate for Autumn this week and to pack for my "Friends retreat" on Cape Cod beginning Sunday!
HAPPY WEDNESDAY!!

No comments:
Post a Comment