24 September 2026

Lifting my eyes

 

on the summit of Rooster Comb Mt
(photo compliments of Joan B)


It was a perfect, early Autumn day.  God totally blessed us here in the Northeast with temps in the low 60s (my fave to hike in), clear skies and full sunshine.  The perfect day for hiking up my favorite, small mountain in the High Peaks region of the Adirondacks. This was my 6th time going up.  It was probably one of my favorite times.   I was so thankful I didn't need to crawl on my hands and knees on the last thrust up like I had to do two years ago.  I guess all of my work-outs and  chiropractic alignments have paid off!  It's a small mountain meaning the elevation is less than 3000' high.  But it packs a punch because it is relentless in the approach......

.........like I'm relentless in my pursuit of peace and  seeing God. 


I wanted to hike this by myself. And maybe one day I will. But most of my family and friends don't like that idea so I had asked my friend Joan if she'd like to hike it. And she asked another friend to join us.  I have to admit I was a bit intimidated by the thought of Joy S coming along because she is so strong physically, and fit.  I thought she might think it was too easy of a climb.  But once we got there, all those kinds of thoughts just left my mind because I was in my happy place.  This mountain is just so special to me and I have shared it with 4 friends and my niece in the past.  Each time it was just 2 of us hiking. 

When we started out, I was super pumped. I could feel my body start to relax, as well as my mind. I've been struggling with thoughts of "how am I going to manage leading three groups this semester, 2 of which are Bible studies and both are books that "go deep" spiritually speaking. Both are "easy" reads and one is workbook style so homework....but....the other one, the Psalms one, will take a lot of preparing for  us to get to the "meat" of the study.  I know I'm supposed to lead this group, though, and it was confirmed by more than one person. But all of those thoughts were just slipping away as I trekked up those boulders and across the pine needles.  I was starting to doubt, though, if I could actually make it, physically,  up the summit. My spine issues scare me sometimes and although I was 95% positive I could get up it, that 5% of  "what about my knees?" was causing me to doubt. 
But these women I was with were very encouraging, which is a plus when hiking with other people.  They didn't seem to mind that I was trekking rather slowly. 

From the lookout on the way to the summit
This is a view of the Brothers which I've climbed in the past
and the Keene Valley below 


And I realized, when I got to the lookout, that our paces are all going to be different because we are all different. God made each of us unique. It doesn't matter that I was hiking with this woman whom  I barely know who is so fit in her upper body due to CrossFit weight workouts. She's so muscular!!  But I realized, that although I'm thinner, I also have good muscles in my legs.  Which is needed for mountains. So I thanked God quietly that I get to hike. I can still move my body! I thank Him every day for that. 

More importantly, though, to me, is the spiritual lesson He showed me once we got to that true summit. 

Giant Mt...the mountain I climbed at age 18 in 1978
and that just made me fall in love with hiking 
When I see it, I feel "home".  I feel safe. I feel at peace. 

I went off by myself to my favorite spot to sit when I scale this summit and I was anxious to see if God was going to "speak" to me while I journaled about the hike. 

He did. 

my fave spot on top of Rooster Comb
Here's what He showed me: 

First: He was confirming some things about an emotional/spiritual battle I was in this summer: 

"you're stronger that you realize, both physically and emotionally. Even spiritually, my daughter. I am healing you~~ the mountains I've created are very healing for you~~ you feel closest to Me here but I am everywhere, even at home in the valley." 

And then:

"See those dead trees? Those represent the people whom I've removed from your life~~they're  fading like driftwood just like I told you! More and more, as you draw closer to Me, you will find that they fade and yet you'll be surrounded by my beauty in your new friends~~ they're like the colored trees....all are different yet all stand tall in their faith just like you are striving to do.  Do life with them". 



a hint of autumnal color in the High Peaks Wilderness below
if you look closely, you can see "dead" trees just below the summit
and scattered throughout the forest 



And then a little bit later, while I was eating some lunch, I heard this from Him:

"Just like you're standing on this rock, stand on Me! I am the Rock and your fortress~~ in Me you will find strength to lead your groups and to share your own healing~~Keep putting one foot forward like you did going up this mountain. Sometimes it will be slow and steady and other times your growth will be a sprint.  Keep your feet firmly planted on Me your Rock and your Redeemer. " 


summit of Rooster Comb Mt with Giant in the back


Why am I sharing these words from my journal?

The hope is that it would encourage you as you walk your own journey....that we can hear from God when we are quiet...and still before Him....that He does answer our questions, when we take time to be intimate with Him.....


Are your feet firmly planted on the Rock? 







No comments: