"Even when the rainbow seems to pass right by me....I'm still finding Gold in the clouds....."

13 April 2016

2016 Book Review #8: Radiant Angel

I have read every single one of this author's John Corey series.  I've also read several of his other bestsellers.  Every book rates a 10, I think.  This one is no exception.

STORY SUMMARY

John Corey is back at home in New York City, after chasing the terrorist from Yemon known as The Panther.  His wife, Kate, is down in Washington, D.C where she works with the FBI.  John is now with the DSG (Diplomatic Surveillance Group) working at the U.N. Mission where he keeps tabs on the Russian diplomats.  He is quite content being out from under the scrutiny of the FBI (he has left the Anti-Terrorist Task Force, and before that, he retired from the NYPD)...he loves being out of the bureaucracy of office life.

But...Corey soon realizes something that the United States government does not know:  there is an "all too real" threat of the newly resurgent Russia....and it involves Vasily Petrov, a colonel in the Russian Foreign Intelligence Service who is posing as a diplomat with the Russian U.N. Mission.......and now??

It is Sunday.  Vasily Petrov leaves the Mission, followed by Corey and his new trainee Tess Faraday who aspires to work for the FBI.  They follow Petrov to the very wealthy Georgi Tamarov's mansion in Southhampton on Long Island.

From there, they lose him!!  What are the Russians up to??

Is there really a nuclear bomb inside the suitcase that Petrov delivers to Tamarov's mansion?  and if so.....to where is it headed??

MY THOUGHTS

This book is fast-paced, exciting, and full of Russian espionage!  Even the Arabs make an appearance although I don't want to give too much away.  I loved that it took place in less than 24 hours!!  That made it very exciting.

THe book is full of DeMille's usual humor and lightheartedness interspersed with very serious subject matter that made me sit up and take note:  could some of these scenarios play out in today's culture here in America??  My guess is Yes.  Will our government be ready?  My guess is No.

I have read every John Carey book, in order, that DeMille has written and I just love the character.  I'm a bit concerned about the ending as he made it seem that he might be ending the series.  I hope that is not true!!

This book was difficult to put down!!  I read it in less than a week and loved every part of it.  The language is not offensive nor are the scenes depicted, especially when you realize that the author is just setting up the characters and setting.

In my opinion, this book is appropriate for ages 17 and older (due to some mature subject matter).

On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the highest, I rate this a 10.




2 comments:

shortybear said...

good review

Susanne said...

Sounds intriguing!