Wow...we are more than half-way through July and it's been a busy one this year.
So I'm pausing to give thanks for FIVE blessings from a week of many, but these make the FAVE list that Susanne encourages us to find and share. To learn more about the FFF, head to Susanne's blog.
FIVE FAVES
| a mess! |
| end result |
- CLEANING CHAOS: Last Saturday I had to cancel a mountain hike due to the Canadian wildfires and bad air quality in the mountains and down here in the Capital Region (where it was actually worse). Plus, there was rain almost all day. So I went into a cleaning frenzy. I was actually looking for a specific Bible from my teen years (I was a young pre-teen when the Jesus Revolution began and it was in 1975 at age 15 when I became a Christ follower and was given The Way..the Bible that was all the rage with young people in the 1970s.) and in order to dig it out, I had to drag all the seasonal bins out of the basement closet (which is built under the stairs). Once I pulled everything out, I realized I needed to vacuum that space which took awhile. Finally after finding the Bible and another very special photo, I was ready to put everything back. This chore took me 2 hours because I ended up on the floor with so many emotions and memories...all from one Bible and a photo. I'm thankful I had the afternoon to do this. It was a bit cathartic to be honest. I'm also thankful I got rid of alot of old junk...including old report cards my mother insisted I have. I'm thankful for memories but I don't need all the "stuff".
| The Bible I used from about age 15-25. And wow.....it contained quite the memories and notes....and pictures........ |
- GRILLED DINNERS: I'm thankful it's been a pretty good week for grilling dinner foods. I had bought some amazing haddock that was breaded with a parmesan-garlic topping and it was amazing! Dave was so thankful I served something besides tofu. We also enjoyed grilled salmon this past week and grilled veggies. I was thankful we had some nice dinners together this past week and time to linger around the table and talk.
| so good! |
- SOLO HIKE: Monday was perfect summer hiking weather. There was virtually no humidity and the temps were in the low 70s in the mountains. I decided I needed to hike solo and since Dave works from home on Mondays, this would leave him with a totally quiet house. I headed to The Pinnacle, a small mountain (more like a hill!) just north of Lake George village. Sadly, there were over 11 hikers on the trail that I ran into. I had forgotten how popular it is with the toursists from out of state who want to hike but usually need an easy hike. But, thankfully, once I got to the summit, I was alone for about 15 minutes and actually did some journaling. I really needed this quiet time in God's creation. I needed to hear from God and I did, regarding some personal issues. The hike was wonderful. And it's only a 2.2 miles RT hike so I was done by noon. I'm thankful for time alone in God's beautiful creation.
![]() |
| Lake George from the summit of Pinnacle |
| Friday evening downtime |
- RELAXING FRIDAY EVENING: Friday evening was one for total relaxation. Dave was mentally tired from work and I was emotionally drained from many various situations going on in the hiking ministry I lead as well as my own personal life. We decided since it's been a hot minute, to just order a veggie pizza and have a bottle of Riesling. I'm thankful my husband likes doing this. It was a good way to unwind after a stressful week.
| Moreau Lake Monday on the unguarded beach on the far side of lake |
- LAKE DAYS Everyone who knows me knows I prefer cold mountain lakes to pools or even the ocean. I love the ocean. But there's something about the Adirondack Mountain lakes that just has always cried "home" to me. And I'm not even that great of a swimmer! I was lucky enough to get to 2 lakes this past week: Monday, after hiking, I popped into the state park just 30 min north of my home and swam, then read a book for an hour. It felt so nice to just be. There were only 3 other people on the more private, unguarded beach. Then yesterday, since Claire our youngest, has Thursdays off this summer, I've saved those days for her.....She chose for us to go to Loon Lake which takes about 1 hr and 20 min north from my house. I don't mind the drive and the town beach is free to park and use the beach. It's very shady in spots so if it's a super hot day, it's nice to have that choice. We stayed in the sun yesterday as the temps up there were just 72 and there was a very cool breeze the entire time. We ended up not swimming because the air was so cold! How restful I felt at the lake. Afterwards we discovered a new to us coffee shop where I ordered a maple cream hot coffee and let's just say I now have a new place to pop into when I am up that way. It was the best coffee I've had since Claire was at UNH and we used to go to the Freedom Cafe. It was a bit pricey but I was happy to give an ADK business my money. I want them to last! I'm thankful Claire and I had so much fun reading and relaxing and just talking. These days are precious to me.
![]() |
| Loon Lake eastern ADK |
![]() |
| Claire loves to read on the beach |
![]() |
| as do I!! |
That wraps up the faves that made me smile and say "thank You, God".
But I would be remiss if I didn't mention another one:
I'm thankful for my sisters in Christ...my friends from church, with whom we "do life" with. I've had texts and emails that were encouraging, as well as challenging this past week and I'm thankful I have these friends. I'm also thankful for those of you who commented or sent me emails, on the very deep, emotional posts I wrote earlier these week most of which just came from God......Writing is a good outlet for the soul for sure.
At least for me. I'm glad God spoke to me in that still, small Voice He uses to get our attention.
Have a glorious weekend! I have an easy hike to lead tomorrow afternoon and then I'm on a sabbatical from leadership duties for the next 3 weeks!! it is much needed.





No comments:
Post a Comment