04 September 2026

Slowing Down Faves

 

I've had to intentionally slow down this week. Summer was busy. I purposefully left this past week to be just Dave and I for the most part.  What helped was I needed to cancel a SoulSteps Hike I had scheduled for Wednesday. Originally there were 6 people signed up, then it  dropped down to 4 and by  Tuesday evening, it was just 3 of us. I didn't feel bad about cancelling as the humidity levels were over 90% (!!) and the weather forecast was  quite unpredictable. Thunderstorms and rain on and off.  So it's been a much slower week, yet one full of blessings.

I'm participating in Susanne's FFF weekly writing exercise to be intentional about sharing gratitude for the blessings God brings into our lives. Head over to her blog to join in! 

FIVE FAVES 

Totally relaxing!
Dave enjoyed being back in his kayak
Saturday 29 August




Kayaking on Black River  Pond
at Cherry Plain State Park 
  • KAYAKING!  We finally had a free Saturday, where neither of us had obligations to other people. So we planned our first kayaking trip in 2 years.  For those of you who have been here awhile, you know I haven't been able to kayak since 2021 without upper back/cervical spine pain and cervicogenic headaches.  We didn't go at all last year, because, although i was starting to overcome some of the things that caused the pain, kayaking was not one of them. So we chose to leave our kayaks under cover all year.  Well, we decided we would try this year and last Saturday was the day. And guess what? All glory to God: I had no upper back pain nor headache at all. I did have some right shoulder pain but part of that was due to lack of paddling  and so although I do some weight workouts, that shoulder was being used in a  way it hadn't been in 2 years. The pain was gone by Monday so I am very thankful this was a great kayaking experience. I'm also thankful that with my Kia Soul, it is easier to get the kayaks on and off the roof rack, unlike Dave's Honda CRV which is taller.  I'm thankful we had a wonderful "Date Day". We followed it up by going out to dinner at one of our favorite local restaurants with a gift card someone had given me for Christmas.  We chose to order The Harwich (fresh grilled haddock on a brioche bun with pickles and their house tartar which was amazingly good).  Because it was a lighter meal, we shared dessert which was a slice of their chocolate mousse cake. I had never had it...it was delicious! I'm thankful that although we have been married for 36 years, we still love our date nights and make them a priority when we can. 
a delicious summer cocktail: peach spritzer
Dave enjoyed a summer craft beer 



  • PHONE CALL: A friend of mine called me at the most perfect time on Sunday afternoon when I needed to talk to someone. I'm so grateful for this friend and how she encourages me and prays for me and just listens. 

  • MOVIE NIGHT:  Dave and I needed to just totally relax and laugh Sunday evening so he chose this old 1990s movie we've seen probably twice before when the girls were younger. It's currently on Paramount + and he chose it because it's so nostalgic, with funny moments and a good lesson. Plus it's just all around good clean family fun. I'm thankful we had a relaxing evening together laughing and unwinding. 


beautiful sunflowers on the farm across the road from us
I walked past them every day this week. I love them!





at Cherry Hill Farm
across the road from where we live 


  • QUIET WALKS:  I've been power walking each morning when it hasn't rained and on Wednesday, once the skies cleared up, I did a little bit longer walk, going 2 miles instead of 1.5. I headed across the road at one point to the other neighborhood that borders the farm across the road from us.  I was so thankful to see God's creation all around me...from the cows to the sunflowers.....it was a lovely power walk and the neighborhood was so quiet! I'm thankful I can get some good cardio workouts in every day in a beautiful setting. 

Cardio room at the athletic center

  • FREE MEMBERSHIP!  Thanks to my friend Jill, I am now a member, for free, at a local community center/sports complex. She joined in June and told me about last week.  Anyone who lives in our county can join for free. It's only 6 miles from my house and in mid-Autumn they're hoping to have the indoor pool finished. I'm not really a gym person but for the winter months, it sure will be nice to do something different with my cardio workouts. And to be in a warm gym vs power walking on the ice, snow and temps below 25!  I'm thankful for my friend telling me about this and for the free membership! (Apparently it's due to some kind of  grant). 

That wraps up my faves for the week. 

I hope you all have a lovely weekend and can enjoy the beautiful weather that is forecast (for the Northeast anyways!). 







No comments: